We thought we’d never see the day, but curtain bangs are back with a, well, bang. And while the modern resurgence isn’t a carbon copy of the original 1970s style, curtain bangs do have a cool, nostalgic vibe that’s almost certainly part of the appeal.
For the unversed, just as the name suggests certain bangs are slightly grown-out bangs that are parted in the middle, like a pair of curtains. Because they’re a bit longer than your typical fringe, curtain bangs tend to make easy hairstyles compared with classic bangs hairstyles and are less of a commitment in terms of upkeep and daily styling.
“I have had curtain bangs requests from so many clients this year, with more and more celebrities trying out this style and with it trending on social media,” says Fekkai stylist Elidona Pjetraj. “Because they are cut purposely to frame your face, the growth is very natural and effortless.”
As a visual reference, the most iconic curtain bangs of all time belong to original Charlie’s Angel Farrah Fawcett and French pin-up Brigitte Bardot with her timeless feathered cut. But the style didn’t die out with disco after the ’70s, hair icons of every era, from Jennifer Lopez to the Duchess of Cambridge, have experimented with this look at some point.
How to pick the best curtain bangs style
Curtain bangs can work for almost any hair type and texture, from curly hairstyles to bob hairstyles and more. Consider the following when deciding if this versatile style is right for you:
- Face shape: “The thing that I like most about curtain bangs is that they can be tweaked to suit everybody—they can be done on any face shape or hair texture,” says Pjetraj. “You can style them in so many ways: straight, waves, natural shape, with a ponytail hairstyle or pinned back.”
- Hair thickness: Certain hair types may require specific curtain bangs to be cut in. “When the hair is quite thick they can blend in too much with the rest of the hair, so it’s important to cut them quite chunky in order that they stand out,” advises legendary hairdresser Larry King.
- Trims: “Usually my clients will wait for the six-to-eight week mark to get their bangs cut in again, although with anything shorter—say if the reference is the eye or high cheekbone—to maintain that then they may want to pop in for a fringe trim after three-to-four weeks,” advises Sian Quinn, artistic ambassador for Headmasters.
Curtain bangs: 21 looks our beauty team loves
Curtain bangs with short hair
A bob with bangs is a timelessly chic hairstyle, but a curtain bang twist brings the look right into the now. Another short haircut that’s a huge 2022 hair trend is the shag—a cool ’70s throwback look that perfectly compliments a center-parted fringe.
1. The rounded bob with curtain bangs
This chic, gamine style suits oval and heart-shaped faces best and really enhances great bone structure, making those cheekbones pop.
2. The rounded bob with curtain bangs
This beautiful style looks brilliant on hair that’s smooth but not overly straight—the best hair straightener brushes will help you achieve the right level of smoothness.
3. The short shag cut with curtain bangs
Double down on 1970s style by combining a layered shag haircut with a center-parted fringe. The trick to keeping this look modern is knowing how to style layered hair for choppy definition.
4. The layered bob with curtain bangs
Medium to thick hair textures, as well as naturally wavy hairstyles will bring beautiful movement to this cute, short bob with layers.
5. The classic lob with curtain bangs
A lob hairstyle is a great option for anyone with a square or round face, as the extra length is a little more forgiving. Teamed with tapered curtain bangs here, this style has bags of versatility.
Curtain bangs with medium length hair
Who doesn’t love medium-length hair? Long enough to put in hair up styles, short enough to be relatively low-maintenance. The only issue with versatile midi styles is they can struggle to make a statement, and that’s where curtain bangs can help.
6. Heavy curtain bangs with shoulder length hair
Ultra-long curtain bangs with a beautiful blow-dry is such a classy look. The beauty of bangs this length is they grow out fairly swiftly into regular layers, so are a low-risk way to dip your toe into the trend.
7. The coily long lob with curtain bangs
Curtain bangs and coils are a match made in heaven. Depending on your curl type your hairstylist may want to cut these in dry—this will ensure they hit a flattering length at their most springy.
8. The classic beachy waves with curtain bangs
Showing how curtain fringes don’t have to be a huge statement, this subtle beachy look blends long tapered front sections with face-framing layers and a subtle wave.
9. The soft curtain bangs and midi cut
Grown-out curtain bangs are a look all of their own. Try creating a bouncy blow dry and wrapping the front sections backward around a large vented brush to recreate this style.
10. The Parisian volumized style with curtain bangs
Shaggy, choppy with plenty of va-va-voom volume, this look has bags of je ne sais quoi. Oval, heart and square face shapes suit blunt cuts like this best. To achieve lasting root lift sprinkle a little texturizing dust into your fingers and gently tease the roots.
Curtain bangs with long hair
Long hair with curtain bangs is the iconic bohemian babe hairstyle. It’s also probably the most high maintenance look here but if you’re willing to put in a bit of extra styling effort it will be richly rewarded with flattering, flowing styles.
11. The long shag cut with curtain bangs
This beautiful, flowing style perfectly complements naturally wavy hair, or you can fake it by using large hot rollers and a misting of hairspray.
12. The curtain bangs ponytail
Whoever said ponytails are boring had never seen a pony with a curtain fringe. This is a great option when you don’t have much time, hike up your lengths and you only need to style the bangs.
13. The ultra layered flicky style
Farrah Fawcett eat your heart out! This is a real nod to the past and can be created with a large vented brush and the best hair dryer. Apply some mousse before drying to help the style stick.
14. The feathery waves with curtain bangs
This cool, bendy wave is best achieved by learning how to curl hair with straighteners, rather than a curling iron which creates a rounder curl. Center part your hair for extra contemporary appeal.
15. The long and choppy curtain bangs style
Showing how clever curtain bangs can make fine hair look thicker, this flattering style combines a glossy fringe with sweet flicks and kicks through the ends.
Curtain bangs with curly hair
A curtain fringe + curls = retro-modern perfection. From loose waves to natural hairstyles with kinks and coils, those eye-framing sections at the front give a beautiful shape to a head of curly hair.
16. The mid length curly curtain bangs
Achieving beautiful curl separation is key to this look. Try following the curly girl method to achieve glossy, defined curls around the front of your hairstyle.
17. The shoulder length wavy curly style
The combination of cut and color makes this style stand out. Top achieve this sunkissed look ask for balayage hair in tones of warm honey and creamy vanilla.
18. The corkscrew curtain bangs
This gorgeous natural hairstyle combines tight, coily curls with ultra-fine highlights in hair for a multi-tonal effect. A curl cream applied to the hair when damp will help achieve glossy separation.
19. Coily up-do with a curtain fringe
That curtain fringe add instant interest to this easy updo. Pull your hair into a super-high ponytail and rake forward with your fingers, securing with hidden bobby pins, then pull out a few flattering tendrils.
20. The shaggy curly cut with curtain bangs
This very sweet curly bob with curtain bangs is especially flattering on oval and heart-shaped faces. Use a diffuser when drying to gently shape your hair then ruffle with a little wax or pomade to achieve those modern, fluffy edges.
21. The loose curly curtain bangs
This hairstyle is all about the cut—have your stylist create a rounded shape by layering into the bangs and sides, taking weight out of the ends.